Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Made To Crave

I've started reading through Made To Crave with a group of women from my Clean Eating group. I am borrowing the book and DVD from a friend. So, I sat down and read through the first 3 chapters.

In the introduction it talks about Jesus telling the rich man to sell his possessions and follow him. The man wasn't able to give up what he loved to do that. She says that we cannot drag our divided heart alongside as we follow hard after Him. Ouch! How often do I do that. I want to follow Christ. I want to give up those things, but some part of me just won't let them go completely. So I drag a divided heart after Him. I fall because they weigh me down and I take my eyes off Him to see if they are still there, still look good to me, they still hold a place of desire in me. Wow! Powerful, even though I knew these things, but didn't allow my spirit to KNOW them!

Next, it talked about how Satan tempts us the same way he did Jesus. He uses cravings for things, lust of the eyes, and then boasting of what we have or do. Oh, those cravings! I can turn away, try to focus someplace else and in my mind still picture it, desire it, just want one bite to satisfy my desire, just smell it, taste it. Thinking it will be so good.... and how many times do I taste and it just doesn't seem to be as good as what I imagine it will be. So, I try something else. Only to fill my body with stuff that makes me tired, fat, sleepy, grumpy, guilty.

So, how did Jesus respond to Satan's temptations? He used scripture. So, when I am tempted and craving what isn't beneficial I should use that as a prompt to pray. Use scripture as a way to refocus my mind and heart.

All but two of the Israelites were not allowed to enter the Promised Land because they would not lay down their desires. They willfully put God to the test by demanding the food they craved Psalms 78:18. They wandered the desert 40 years and never entered the abundant life God had for them. I know from experience that after a period with no sugar I have so much energy and feel so much better. I remember how fruits tasted so much better. So sweet and good! How my cravings went away for the most part. They are still there, but the intensity dies down so your brain can redirect you to a better choice or to resist easier. The problem is the torturing days of intense cravings where you want to murder someone. Where you want to just make them go away. Where you can't focus. Headaches... oh, the headaches! Tiredness. Mood swings. All those horrible horrible intense days getting from one place to another. The desert. But on the other side it is so much better.... it is just a tough road to get there. Dry. Parched. Intense heat. Feeling alone, forgotten, deceived. The Israelites grumbled asking why they were taken out of slavery to starve in the desert, saying it was better where they were. When God was providing manna daily. Better in slavery? They couldn't see where God was taking them. They couldn't give up their desires and learn to trust Him for what is good and best. They drug their divided hearts with them. Going along, but not fully letting go of what they had so they could grasp what God had for them. Fools! We are all fooled by the devil into thinking that if we give up our desires that God will not give us anything better.

I want His blessings. I want what is on the other side. I don't want to drag my divided heart along and wander the desert as He waits for me to let it go so he can fill me with much much more. Everything my heart desires, that is beneficial and complete.


No comments: